Frequently Asked Questions
What is a PEO?
PEO is an acronym standing for Professional Employer Organization. Wikipedia describes a PEO as a “firm that provides a service under which an employer can outsource employee management tasks, such as employee benefits, payroll and workers’ compensation, recruiting, risk/safety management, and training and development. The PEO does this by hiring a client company’s employees, thus becoming their employer of record for tax purposes and insurance purposes. This practice is known as joint employment or co-employment.” We can’t really say it better.
What is the difference between a PEO and an ASO? (KRUSE offers both)
A PEO (Professional Employer Organization) model encompasses all services, where an ASO (Administrative Services Organization) model “carves out” certain services. An ASO generally remains the employee of record, and hires another company to handle things like payroll, insurance, benefits administration and other human resource functions. Other “carve-outs” can be Workers Compensation certain benefits, etc.
What is the difference between PEO/ASO and staffing?
This is an important distinction, as we note in the introduction of what we do. Most significant, PEO/ASO is not temporary staffing, where we contract our employees to you. In fact, the goal of PEO is the opposite of temporary staffing as we help you retain and grow your own staff. The reason we added PEO is precisely because we were providing the HR services to our own employees, why not extend those same services to clients under the PEO model?
Can KRUSE offer PEO services to a staffing company?
Yes, and often a PEO is not able to do so. This is primarily due to worker’s compensation carriers will not underwrite staffing under a PEO model. We are able to provide the service because we still have a staffing division, and therefore run the service through Kruse Staffing, where we can provide all the payroll and HR services as we do in the PEO model An added bonus is that our years of experience in staffing can be utilized to help you grow your staffing business
How do I know you are can do what you say?
Mostly by reading what others have said about us in Kruse Reviews. We also hope you will contact us, ask questions and maybe get a free quote. In addition to that, we have been in business since 1994. We have been licensed in all 50 states, can easily obtain a license when needed. We currently have clients in 36 states. We are a member of NAPEO (link to http://www.napeo.org) (National Association of PEO) and an a member of SHRM (link to (link to https://www.shrm.org) (The Society of Human Resource Management). Our president Chris Walton has certification from SHRM. Each of these associations provides great resources and education for us. See Who we are for more details on these organizations.
How do I know if I need a PEO?
Hopefully, this website has answered some of that, but in summary:
- Did you just lose a key person that handled much of your HR needs?
- Are you overwhelmed with administrative duties, red tape and paperwork and not feeling like you have time to find new business, etc.?
- Are employees coming to you with payroll, taxes or benefit questions or concerns?
- Are you at all worried that your workers comp coverage is inadequate or an employee injury might be problematic?
- Do you feel your turnover is too much?
- Are you having trouble finding the right people?
- Are your employees complaining that benefits are inadequate, or asking about adding a retirement plan?
How does your pricing work?
The best way for us to answer that is to ask for a free quote. Each client is unique and we tailor each plan. While there are many variables, much is based on total payroll and number of employees. Our goal is always win-win, for example we will adjust for highly compensated individuals. The other goal is to be a fraction of handling the work internally; yet offering high quality service with our “personal touch.”
Tell me more about your HRIS system? Kruse uses a system designed by Thinkware; a leading provider of software and systems for the PEO/ASO industry since 1994. The portal is designed for secure self-service by clients and employees, to access, manage, and report on payroll, billing, benefits, and most general HR information. The system is flexible and user friendly, and we are able to adapt details for individual clients. A summary of functionality includes:
All new employee onboarding can be done online; as can changes profiles.
- Client and employee orientation to the system is online.
- Employee and Employer Orientation for On-boarding
- Online Benefits Enrollment
- Benefit changes, communication and support.
- Employee and Employer features and permissions are tailored by client and role.
- Employer and management have real time reporting, on payroll and other HR functions.
- employees have access to current and historical pay stubs
- Timeclock & POS Interfaces
- Web Based Time and Attendance
- Ad-hoc Reports
- electronic signature
- General Ledger and invoice access and associated reports.
Will I lose control of any aspect of my company?
No, of course not; it is your company under your control. Final decisions on hiring/firing, wages, etc; always remain with you. We are “hired” to provide a service for you.